Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Teddy Bear Tidbit Tuesday

Welcome to Teddy Bear Tidbit Tuesday, where you'll hear a tidbit or two about teddy bears.

We're all familiar with our good friend, Teddy, but just how many pieces of fur fabric go into making him? In a standard teddy bear (if there is such a thing as a standard teddy bear), there can be about 23 pieces. Those 23 pieces are as follows: 4 pieces for 2 ears, 3 head pieces, 4 body pieces, 6 pieces for 2 arms, and 6 pieces for 2 legs. Some bears are made with arms and paws that are only 2 pieces each, with legs and paws that are 2 pieces each (as I do), with 2-piece bodies (as I do on my smaller bears), and with 4 (or more) pieces for the head. Some bears have multiple colors and so have many more pattern pieces.

Two bears' pattern pieces
(Goldenstern and Cinnamon have been completed and adopted.)

Yesterday, I completed a new pattern and started tracing the pieces onto the fabric I'll be using for my next bear. I am always optimistic about how long it will take me to draw up a pattern or sew a bear...much more optimistic than realistic, I'm afraid. So the bear is partially cut out. My other little bear is all sewn and is awaiting his stuffing. There's a third bear partly sewn, and a fourth bear ( a little panda) all cut and ready for fur to be trimmed from his seam allowances so he can be pinned and sewn. There's a lot going on in the Crew studio. I hope soon there will be pictures to share and bears available for adoption!

Pattern pieces, paper towel test body, and pink mohair arm and leg
(which belong to Malinka, who has been completed and adopted)

6 comments:

  1. Your work table looks busy and exciting all at the same time. Love your post.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay! It's busy, but the pieces you see in the post are all finished now. I desperately need to take new pictures!

      Delete
  2. Hi Debora,

    Anxiously awaiting to see the new Crew members.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to start stuffing the little guy I have all sewn. I'm eager to see how his pattern turns out (it's new).

      Delete
  3. Interesting variety of bear bits there, looking forward to seeing them more whole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bear bits. It's fun to see them in their flat state and then when they're finished. The ones in the post above are all finished: Goldenstern, Cinnamon, and Malinka. Maybe I need to do a post with their pictures!

      Delete

We love getting comments here in the Crew studio. Thank you for taking a peek at New Avenue Crew and leaving us your calling card. Blessings and bear hugs to you!